Meet The Staff: 20 Questions with Krystin Blauch
Krystin is the Communications & Events Director at the Chamber. She plans the major Chamber events and handles all the day-of details. She also sends out the communications that you get from the Chamber in addition to the Blog and any social media sites. She will be with the Chamber 6 years in July and always has a smiling face at our events! She currently lives in Harrisburg with her husband of 8 years, Derek; 4-year-old son Emery; 1.5-year-old son Owen and their spunky Corgi dog Kipper.
- Where is your hometown?
- What is your greatest fear?
Something bad happening to my family members.
- Before working at the West Shore Chamber of Commerce, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I worked in my Dad’s Foundry from the time I was 13 drilling, grinding and counting aluminum castings, making sand molds and deliveries to our customers.
- If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
I would love to learn how to dance, I am a terrible dancer and love watching So You Think You Can Dance and living vicariously through them.
- If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?
I’m very passionate about supporting research for a cure for Parkinson’s Disease so I would donate a big part of that to the Parkinson’s Foundation and the Michael J. Fox Foundation. Having lost my mother to the disease 5 years ago I would love to be able to help in any way I can to find a cure. Then next, I would pay off all of my family’s homes.
- What’s your favorite line from a book?
“Don’t be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don’t have to live forever, you just have to live.” – Tuck Everlasting, Natalie Babbitt
- The best vacation you’ve ever been on?
My honeymoon to Ireland, we drove around the south part of the island from Dublin to Shannon.
- When you have 30 minutes of free-time, how do you pass the time?
Working on reading a book that I have started and re-started 5 times I’m sure. With two kids, ages 1.5 & 4, it’s hard to finish one.
- What’s your favorite indoor/outdoor activity?
Indoor – Reading, Outdoor – Hiking/Walks with the Family
- What household chore do you absolutely hate doing?
- If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would you meet?
Ellen DeGeneres, she has such a good soul and is so giving and wonderful to people who deserve it. I would love to hang out with her for a day.
- Are you messy or organized?
Organized, most people know that I love to clean and organize everything around me. I would say I’m slightly OCD, haha.
- Ten years ago, where did you think you would be now?
Honestly, I didn’t think I would be living in Central PA. Being born and raised in NYC I thought I would head home and find a job there. Apparently, life had other plans!
- If you were stuck on an island what three things would you bring with you?
Unlimited Sunscreen, My 3 Guys, and a good book.
- What would you do (for a career) if you weren’t doing this?
It sounds silly but probably a professional organizer, I love getting spaces in order and helping people clean out their houses.
- Tell us one thing most people don’t know about you…
I was born and raised in Queens, NYC and moved out here for college. I have slowly lost my accent the longer I live here but if you listen closely sometimes you can hear it in certain words.
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- What would be your dream vacation?
My husband and I have talked about taking a trip for our 10 year anniversary to Iceland, I would love to travel around and see the Northern Lights.
- What is one thing you can’t resist?
Ice Cream. Love it! There is always room for Ice Cream, my Grams always said it fills in the nooks and crannies.
- What is your favorite thing about working at the West Shore Chamber?
I love the freedom it has given me to try different things. I have been the Membership Director, Communications Director and now also work on the events so it has been fun to be able to dabble in each part. I do think that my position now is well suited to me, I love being able to be creative!